Saturday, January 5, 2013

A visit to Granny :)


A visit to Granny


I had to share this story with you all. My family (me, hubby, 2 boys) all went to go visit Granny in the nursing home the other day. Granny is 89 years old (I think) and was married for like 60 years to the same man. Grandpa died at 93 a couple of years ago. Granny calls her late husband "Dad".  Couple other things you need to know about Granny is that she is not afraid to speak her mind. Sometimes this has included walking up to people and saying, "Well girl you sure are looking fat!"  I don't take offense, I just laugh it off, but it is an on going joke in the family that you just don't know what you are going to hear from Granny.


So when we went to see her in the nursing home the other day we were delighted when we all got compliments! She said my hubby was looking younger every day. I was pretty. My younger son had such a cute dimple that all the girls would go after him, and my older son was so tall and handsome! Wow we were all smiling at this. She must have felt a little feisty with us all so happy. So she started talking about her new home, it went something like this:

Granny: I just don't know why I'm in this place. It is too much money for me to be here. At least they keep it clean, but there are some really sick people here, I don't like looking at them, Oh mercy.

Our response: Oh Granny don't worry about the cost, they take good care of you here and I'm sure there are plenty of things to do.

Granny: Well there aint a nothin to do here. Some people play cards. I don't like to play cards. Some people put puzzles together. I aint never liked to do that. Oh mercy me!

Our response: Well Grandma what do you like to do?

Granny: Well when me and Dad were on the farm we would eat a good dinner, then we would do a little "rough housing"  and then in a little bit then we would go to sleep.

Our response:



Yeah nothing. What do you say to your 89-year-old grandma who just talked to you about what she considered her favorite past time with her hubby?
I will never view the words "rough housing" the same way again!! Tooo funny!! I can't wait to get old and be able to say whatever I want!!

It was so sweet though as we were walking out the door she said with a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her face, "You all take good care of each other" I smiled at my hubby and said, "We will Grandma"

Hope you got a smile out this also!

P.S. This story was written a few years ago when Granny was still alive, she went home to be with Granpa a few years ago now.  Miss and love her still.

No comments:

Post a Comment